Monday, May 26, 2008

Wanting it all

We have made certain decisions in our life. For me to stay home and be a full time parent to the kids is the biggest. This is something I have always wanted, but in the midst of the day to day grind, I often forget that this is a choice and an honor (not a sacrifice). Sure, my career is on hold, moldering away. That doesn't bother me much. However, this choice means we don't have much in the way of extras (ie Broadway tickets, see previous posts). Sometimes I get pretty grumpy about it.

Then here I am reading a parenting book (Peaceful Parents, Peaceful Kids: Practical Ways to Create a Calm and Happy Home) that advises me to set priorities for our family, and then live that way. This is the basic stuff, chapter 1. And we have, and we live according to that, but I forget too often that it was a choice. There are all these examples of parents making choices to live more like us (ie lots of family time, little money) and I had to chuckle at myself. I actually forgot that getting to be with my kids is such a gift. Sometimes the big picture is hard to see.

Here I will write the big picture, so that I don't forget. I get to see my kids grow, missing nothing. I get to be home with them, in their safest environment, where they can achieve their full potential. I get to play for a living. I never have to miss milestones. When one of the kids does something new, no one has to call me on the phone to tell me about it. I get to have my kids be my teacher. Nothing challenges you to grow like these little people who don't know the rules yet!

INTERRUPTION FROM REAL LIFE:

Nothing illustrates what I sometimes take for granted like this!

My son is again obsessed with Dreamgirls: Music From The Motion Picture [2-CD Deluxe Edition]. He is walking around reading the lyrics out of the liner notes from the CD singing at the top of his lungs. He got to a part that said "repeat chorus" and sang those words over and over: REPEAT CHORUS!!!! REPEAT CHORUS!!! REPEAT CHORUS!!! It was awesome. How lucky can I get?

No comments:

Post a Comment