Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Gift....

We are always trying to assess Pablo's level of giftedness. Sometimes we even pretend it doesn't exist. I mean, most 4 year olds know all the countries, states and capitals, right? Right, I know. Our friends quickly set us straight. One big curiosity I have is his grade level. Much time has been spend debating it with friends who are just as stumped as me.

Pablo's older cousin just gave us a new fun computer game called ClueFinders 3rd Grade. Pablo loves it. I thought it would give me a chance to gauge his overall grade level, since it involves math, reading, science, logic, geography, etc. Ha. Parts of the game he FLIES through... other parts I CAN'T FIGURE OUT.

Now, I am a reasonably intelligent person. A 3rd grade level game should not stump me. But I got stumped. Literally. We ended up with Pablo running around pretending to be Buzz Lightyear while I sat there trying me best to understand the instructions on the *&^%%^$#* game. For real. I finally gave up. I plan to try again after he is asleep. I mean, chances are I was just really distracted by Pablo. A "Buzz kill, " if you will (get it?).

This did NOT help me figure out his grade school level (or, apparently, mine). I get that he is at 5-8th grade on some things and much lower on others, but I am stumped with assessing his low side on the areas he is currently not into exploring (science, for one). He knew things that surprised me, and he didn't know things that surprised me. But one thing is for sure... I am not smarter than a 3rd grader.

1 comment:

  1. Makes you feel like maybe, MAYBE you're not smarter than a 5th grader and should not ever try to get on that show.

    My son's homework (4th grade) sometimes stumps BOTH mom and dad.

    And we're college graduates!

    I am giving back my diploma...

    ReplyDelete