Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Clearly I need more sleep.

Beebz is on a nursathon. It makes sense, since she is getting close to 9 months, and just started crawling (and, GULP, standing). In the last 24 hours, she has probably been latched on for... 18 hours or so? I am guessing. It feels like 50 hours. Yes, I know, not possible. I'm just sayin'.

Last night, she nursed and nursed and nursed as we slept. And for the first time in my almost 4 years of nursing a child while sleeping, I incorporated the nursing into my dream. In my dream, I was in my bed, my room, nothing was the least bit out of place. There was nothing to let me know I was dreaming. Except that 4 1/2 year old Pablo was the one latched on. I woke myself up saying, "NO!" while fumbling to unlatch him. Oops, her. The baby. The now crying baby whom I had just woken up by saying NO loudly in her ear. Sorry, sorry. Latch her back on, and back to sleep we go.

I was apparently getting sore on that side from the now 5 hours of constant nursing since maybe an hour later I woke myself up trying to unlatch her again. Coordination is not my strong suit when I am awake, and even less so when I am 99% asleep. Instead of unlatching her, I poked her in the cheek with my fingers. No idea what the dream was this time. Beebz was thoroughly not amused. And she wanted to inform the world.

I scooped up the screaming baby and stumbled from the room in hopes of keeping everyone else asleep. I made it to the couch where I promptly knocked over a big cup of water I had left sitting on the floor earlier in the evening because Beebz had stolen my coaster from the coffee table. This soaked my pajama bottoms. It also distracted me from coming up with a solution to the (still) screaming baby problem.... oh yeah... nurse on the OTHER side. Got it. She immediately went back to sleep. I sat there in a stupor for a few minutes and was finally able to come up with the genius idea to GO BACK TO BED. Which I did.

So clearly, I need more sleep. And for my milk to increase soon so the marathon nursing sessions slow down!

No comments:

Post a Comment