Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hope.

For the first time in a long time, I have hope for my country. I am so very excited and touched by the outcome of the election. I am so very grateful. Obama is truly a great man, and I know he will change so many things about our country, and teach Americans how each of us can be better individuals.

I had hard things to explain to a 4 year old today. Why people would dislike his mamas. Why people would discriminate against people of color or gays and lesbians. I did my best. My favorite line was when I was trying to explain Prop 8. I told him that gay is when two people who are both women or both men love each other. He looked at me curiously and said, "But Mama, I love everybody... what does that make me? " Innocent, kiddo, and I hope you stay that way. His next comment, after some thought was, "Why does anyone care who anyone loves? Love is always good, right?" Yes, honey, love should trump everything else. I wish everyone else saw it that way.

Pablo, in trying to understand this whole crazy election things, is now obsessed with the red and blue map. We printed a copy and he has been coloring in the states red and blue, and he just can't stand it that he doesn't know what color to make North Carolina yet. He is also now pretending to be Barack Obama. I get to be Joe Biden, and the baby is stuck being McCain. All that's left is Sarah Palin. Yep, you guessed it. My partner in an updo.

It is so nice to feel such relief. I feel stronger about facing my own little issues in the wake of knowing the many difficult times ahead of Obama. If he can turn this backwards country around, then I can get it together and raise my kids to be happy and healthy.

Yes we can.

3 comments:

  1. I told my co-workers here in North Carolina that my godson is very disappointed that their state is not yet blue or red. One of them actually cast one of the provisional votes that is being counted! They said they would see what they could do to speed the process along on Pablo's behalf.

    P.S. I also love the visual of your partner with an updo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should try to fight Proposition 8 which takes away rights already granted.
    Please consider a boycott of Sundance, Utah and Mormons
    http://www.americablog.com/2008/11/why-is-sundance-film-festival-taking.html
    or donating money to the Northern California ACLU
    http://www.aclunc.org/ .
    I am not affiliated with either. I am just trying to make a difference. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a bitter sweet week out here in CA.
    To teach our kids – not tolerance, which implies there's is something offputting to put up with – but true love, it's a gift they won't ever lose.
    Your kids are being raised by some amazing mamas, and I can guarantee you they will grow up to know right from wrong, and to love from the heart.

    ReplyDelete