Monday, November 10, 2008

NAET and other news...

Pablo started NAET today. It is an allergy elimination system that uses exposure and acupressure. I could describe it better, but at this point, that's pretty much all I know. It came highly recommended to me by many people, and I am really excited about it.

They told us that when kids are exposed to the allergen, they may react in all different ways. Pablo opted for being a whirling dervish, and acting as insanely hyperactive as I have ever seen him. The trick is, I didn't know he had the allergen, so I just thought he was being wild for no reason at all. Pink spots appeared on his cheeks, and he was literally bouncing off the walls. And the door. And the table. And, and, and....

It looks like to get everything done, we need about 8-10 weeks going 2-3 times a week. Fun, fun, fun. But seriously, this is going to be kind of scary. I have to take him, by myself, and with the baby, to a place where they expose him to things that make him act like a maniac. Wheeeee.

At the end of it all, he should be allergy free. The doctor said the effects are amazing. I can't wait to see.

In other news, we went to the Renaissance Festival this weekend. Everyone got tired of it way before me, but then again, part of me wishes I could be an artisan gypsy and travel from fair to fair etc. It is so magical. Maybe the baby will love it and she and I can make it a special mama thing when she gets older....

And finally, to k, who has so publicly judged me and my parenting, thank you. I was rather forcefully reminded today just how painful it is to be on the receiving end of cruel and judgmental statements. I sat with it. I was very hurt by your comments about my bad parenting, and the insults to my son. In sitting with my pain and feelings of betrayal, it occurred to me that I sometimes cause this pain in others through my own judgments. The tenet that is the backbone of my moral code is "Do as you will, and harm none." Thank you for reminding me how much pain judgmental attitudes cause, whether said out loud or kept in our minds. I will be more mindful to always choose the best interpretation I can for people's actions and words rather than judging them. I can never walk in another person's shoes, so I will never know why they choose the actions they do. And if you think that I am not trying, every day, and in every way, to be a better parent, then you aren't reading my blog that closely. It is the air I breathe. As much as I wish I could be a perfect parent, I am a work in progress. But I am trying, with every ounce of my being, to evolve.

2 comments:

  1. I was going to comment on the NAET (I am doing it for myself right now for all my health problems this last year), but then I was completely moved by the end of your post about nonjudgment and compassion.

    Thank you for reminding me that nonjudgment is just as powerful as nonviolence.

    Thank you for articulating it so well: "Thank you for reminding me how much pain judgmental attitudes cause, whether said out loud or kept in our minds."

    Blessings,
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a close friend whos child is accutely allergic to wheat, and rather than wheezing or developing hives, it makes him wild and hyper. He has been helped tremendously by isolating his allergens and changing his diet. Good luck. It should make life easier for ALL of you, poor little guy.

    As for being judged, it seems people find it their right to judge others parenting. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. But, being as they're little humans that we're raising, there really is no right way. We just have to try and understand them as well as we can and do the best we know to help them grow. Man is it challenging.

    I think you're doing a fabulous job, and I applaud you for writing about it, because it's not easy to let everyone know that we don't always know what to do for our kids.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete