Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Why I love Byron Katie

Many, many years ago, I was given a little book, more of a pamphlet, really, by Byron Katie. I read through it briefly, thought it looked cool, and put it on my book shelf. After that, I am not sure what happened to it. Maybe I loaned it to someone. In short, I forgot all about it.

Until I was at my office a few weeks ago and saw Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life. I was thrilled. I borrowed it and devoured it in a few days. I fell in love with the simplicity of this life changing method of inquiry. Her philosophy fits right in to my Buddhist groove. She is so loving, so joyous, so peaceful. She lays it all out in this book, so anyone can do the work.

I found the website.

I got another book, A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are. This one is Katie's reflections on the Tao. Simply beautiful.

Now I am working to integrate the four questions into my life.

Some things that bothered me don't anymore. The things that do bother me make me laugh, because I know I am not yet ready to let go of that irritation.

Well, OK.

Some of the time.

I find myself slowing down. I want my down time to be quiet.

I notice more quickly when my brain starts to tell me an upsetting story. I find myself being more kind in my thoughts. More forgiving.

Well, OK.

Some of the time. :)









3 comments:

  1. Thank you.

    I will work with this.

    (You always make me reach... you are so honest and so present.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny - this is the second time in two days that I've been reminded to read my Byron Katie book. I love life's little synchronisities, don't you. Now I have more of a reason to go and pick it up. I'm glad that you found it helpful, hopefully it will help me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of getting to know the work better. I've heard of it and explored it online briefly but it hasn't "stuck" (yet).

    I'm off to reserve a book at the library.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete